Thursday, July 22, 2010

User Training and Spam

I recommend you take a look at a post at the SANS Storm Center on using common sense when reading email that appears to be spam, but may not be.

PCI requires that users receive some form of security training. When I address this kind of training, I like to use some phishing examples. This post has another good example along with a thoughtful analysis.

From: Comcast

"This is a courtesy reminder that your Comcast Billing Information needs to be verified.

In order to continue using comcast services, click the link below, sign in and and follow the provided steps:



Regards,
Comcast Billing Department"

So, let's look at this and see how easy this is to detect:

  1. I'm not a Comcast customer. So right there, it was easy to detect.
  2. "comcast" in the second line is not capitalized. A real Comcast email would have capitalized their own companies name.
  3. Usually an email like this (from Comcast corporate) would tend to have all kinds of disclaimers and other nonsense at the bottom of the email.
  4. The link that I removed was not to "comcast.com"

Now, if we get into the weeds a bit more, we can look at the headers and see where it came from.

It came from a server at a .edu. I don't want to talk about which .edu (but it was in the United States), as I am going to try and get in touch with their security department after I get done writing this Diary.

I wonder if you or someone at your school is who SANS is contacting...?

Oh, I almost forgot the punchline. Where would this email send you or your users if they clicked on the link? They were taken to a site run by the bad guys that collects usernames and passwords. Not good.

Think about including some live examples like this in your security training. It is interesting, guessing phish from real can enliven the discussion, and it works.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this informative post, I want to know about information security training, and also want to know how it works.

    ReplyDelete